Saturday 19 October 2013

Djuvec Rice

A rice dish of Balkan or Serbian origin.  Main ingredients being red bell peppers and rice.  Some recipes even include fresh tomatoes.  This dish complements Cevapcici dish very well.


Ingredients (serves 4):
260 g long-grain rice, to be washed and drained
2 small red bell peppers, to be washed, deseeded and cut into 1 cm cubes
1 medium-size onion, to be peeled and finely diced
50 g tomato puree
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp paprika powder (Paprikapulver - rosen-scharf)
750 ml instant vegetable stock
1 tbsp cooking oil

Method:
In a pot, heat cooking oil over medium heat.  Add riced, diced onion, pepper cubes and tomato puree. Then, add paprika powder and mix well.  Add a little vegetable stock and bring to a light boil.


When the rice mixture is getting drier, keep adding the vegetable stock a little at a time until all are used up.  Once the rice mixture is almost dry, put on lid and reduce heat to the lowest.


Cook for another half an hour or until rice is done.


Serve hot with Cevapcici & Ajvar.

Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I made this tonight with cut up fried chicken breast. I was worried because to me it looks like Spanish rice which I hate, but it tastes better than that. My German husband says it is a little hot, but that is probably the black pepper I added.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ~an American in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you like the recipe! This dish is my hubby's favourite and it is about time that I cook it again!

      Delete